Featured

Featured

 
text size

Man fights fire with garden hose, baby taken to hospital as precaution

Updated: Monday, June 23 2014, 06:25 PM EDT

WTOV9.com
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio -- They happen all too often. Grease fires that start when you step away.
But it's not every day that what could have been a very serious fire is stopped by a determined resident. That happened Monday along Prospect Avenue in Steubenville when a man inside the home knocked down the flames with a garden hose while a woman and a 4-week-old baby escaped.
The baby was taken by ambulance to a hospital, but officials said that was merely for precautionary reasons.
Officials deemed it was a cooking fire that started around 3 p.m.
"The gentleman went and put the fire out with a garden hose," Steubenville Fire Department Assistant Chief Frank DeLeonardis said. "Sometimes that's not the safe thing to do. It doesn't take much smoke or heat to knock you down.  Make sure everybody is out of the house and stay out of the house."
Regardless of the quick work done by that resident, firefighters still had no choice but to tear down some of the walls and peel apart a ceiling inside the home.
There is substantial damage inside the kitchen, most of that caused by smoke and water.

Man fights fire with garden hose, baby taken to hospital as precaution


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
 
Advertise with us!