Most Shared

Weather Alert

Frost Advisory

Columbiana, Hancock, Brooke - Midnight-9 am Saturday
Patchy frost is possible across the entire area though. Temperatures overnight into early Saturday morning will range from low 30's in the usual cold spots to upper 30's elsewhere.

Jefferson County

Jefferson County

text size

Mingo Junction welcomes new policeman, fireman

Updated: Tuesday, July 15 2014, 06:30 PM EDT
MINGO JUNCTION, Ohio -- In a financial struggle like they have never seen, the village of Mingo Junction has been confronted with some extremely difficult decisions.
One of those is the staffing of their safety forces.
On Tuesday, they tried to change that trend, as they made some key additions -- one new employee for the fire department and another for the police department.
For the fire department, the addition gives them more stability and increases their number of full-time firefighters. And it also does the same for the police department, a group that has struggled with a number of officers you can count on one-hand.
Mayor John Fabian says they got the money for that officer through a grant that pays 75 percent of the officer’s salary and benefits and requires the village to pay the other 25 percent.
That’s money Fabian won't flinch to pay.
"If I have to go out on the street and sell pencils to get his wages, I would do that,” Fabian said. “That's how much I believe in the program. We'll be fine. We'll be fine."
Mason Gambos, the village’s new police man, says he’s ready to go.
"I've been looking forward to it for a long-time,” Gambos said. “I was a police officer in the Navy so I'm ready to serve the people of Mingo Junction."
Brandon Montgomery, the area’s newest firefighter, too, is ready.
“Ever since I was little, I wanted to be a fireman,” Montgomery said. “I worked very hard, worked my way up and I'm very excited about it."
Fabian says funds for the firefighter became available once someone else from the department left, so they didn't need a grant.
As for that police officer, Fabian says it will allow the village to have someone on duty 24-7, something they have struggled to do over the past several months.

Mingo Junction welcomes new policeman, fireman

Advertise with us!

Related Stories

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Advertise with us!