Local News

Local News

 
text size

No one injured in Martins Ferry fire

Updated: Thursday, May 22 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

WTOV9.com
MARTINS FERRY, Ohio – Everyone managed to escape safely, including the pets, after broke out at a duplex at 721 Hickory Street in Martins Ferry on Thursday morning.
Fire officials are crediting working smoke detectors for saving lives.
Martins Ferry Fire Chief Jack Regis said the fire started in the kitchen around the stove area and that it may have been related to a cooking fire.
Regis said a couple, along with their 3-year-old daughter, was in the main structure where the fire started. They all managed to evacuate with injury. A neighboring family was affected as well. There was a mother and child in a second apartment. They also escaped without incident.
The fire department is working with the Red Cross to find a place for the family with the young child to stay. Both families will need clothing and other necessities.
Fire officials say the blaze had the potential to be a significant fire since it had already to extended into the ceiling in the second apartment. But thankfully, fire crews made quick entry and quickly knocked it down.
“Crews did an excellent job,” Regis said. “Plus both sides had working smoke detectors, which, we'll credit that with saving their lives."
Officials planned to talk with building occupants to see what was going on at the time that fire started.
Regis said the state Fire Marshal's Office may come in to do its part in the investigation.

No one injured in Martins Ferry fire


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!