Most Shared

Local News

Local News

 
text size

Update: Toronto home a total loss after morning fire

Updated: Tuesday, August 5 2014, 12:14 PM EDT

WTOV9.com
TORONTO, Ohio -- A man renting a Toronto home said he heard his alarm clock go off and the next thing he knew, his son was warning him the house was on fire around 6:30 on Tuesday morning.
Everyone inside was able to make it out without injuries, even as flames ripped through the entire first floor within 15 minutes.
With fog and smoke still lingering, a heavy presence of fire crews remained on scene 800 block of Niagara Street.
After crews were dispatched, the owner of the home, Vicki Owens, received the call.
“My tenant called while I was on my way into work and said the house was on fire,” Owens said. “He said it could have been a candle that was burning that got knocked over."
While Owens wasn't the one living there, she still felt the shock.
“Oh my God, I just knew he lost everything,” she said. “I feel bad, I really do.”
The renter, his 15-year-old son, and friend made it out, along with two family dogs.
“That could have been me,” Owens said. “I could have lost all of my personal items as well. He just went and bought school clothes for his son and now they're gone; he has to start all over again.”
Fire crews from Toronto, Empire, Stratton and Pottery Addition were all on hand to assist and keep the flames from spreading to other nearby homes.
“We kept everything to the interior of the structure,” Toronto firefighter Bill Scheel said. “We were able to contain it to the one structure.”
With the home being a total loss, the owner says she may end up tearing what's left down.
In the meantime, the Red Cross will assist the renter and his son, who, for now, plan to stay with family in the area
The state Fire Marshal will be at the scene to continue to nail down the exact cause of the blaze.


Update: Toronto home a total loss after morning fire


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!