- Monroe, Belmont Counties team up to serve youth
- ODNR under fire after Monroe County well pad incident
- Officials investigate fatal crash
- Monroe County State Route 145 closure
- State officials investigating massive fish kill in Monroe County
- What’s next for Ormet site?
- Ormet workers learn how to receive benefits
- Feds investigating Powhatan theft, woman arrested
- Ormet will lay off remaining 42 workers
- Motorcycle crash sends one to the hospital
- Parents voice concerns about local high school
- With nowhere to house them in Monroe County, 31 arrested on drug charges
- Car goes over hill, driver rescued in Monroe County
- Ribbon cutting held for River Elementary School
- Fitzgerald visits Ormet
- A portion of Ohio 7 in Monroe County to be reduced to one lane
- Latest on ongoing animal neglect case
- Crews on scene of Woodsfield fire
- Chainsaw accident in Monroe County
- Ormet workers picketing at AEP
- Cars vs. cold: Keeping you on the go
- Toy, food drive held for laid-off workers
- Man sentenced to prison for sex crime against teen
- Car strikes Amish buggy in Monroe Co.
- Laid-off Ormet steelworkers target Ohio governor
- 2 arrested in drug raid
- Free-meals-for-all-students program discontinued
- Elem. school principal placed on admin. leave
- Local reaction to Ormet closing
- New pipeline coming to Ohio Valley
- Ormet to close potlines
- Fireball meteor caught on camera
- Ormet's future could be decided Wednesday
- Car crash sends driver to Pittsburgh hospital
- Former postmaster, sex offender faces charges again
- Troopers ready for holiday weekend
- ODNR to hold public meetings to discuss Abandoned Mine Land projects
- DEVELOPING: 3 Missing people found
- DEVELOPING: 3 Missing people found
- DEVELOPING: Missing man is found
- Search on for missing man
- Ormet workers hold rally to save jobs
- Fatal crash after man drives into home
- New steel mill coming to Monroe County
- Man indicted on 46 counts of rape
- Six arrested in child sex investigation
- Monroe County superintendent leaves struggling school district
- 1,000 Ormet jobs at stake due to limited funds for electric bills
- Severe Weather Alert in Effect
- WTOV9.com undergoing redesign
Monroe County superintendent leaves struggling school district
Updated: Wednesday, July 31 2013, 04:33 PM EDT
By Briona Arradondo
MONROE COUNTY, Ohio –
A local superintendent has left his position in a struggling Monroe County school district Wednesday, according to Switzerland of Ohio Local Schools officials.
After cutting about 40 teachers and adding a pay-to-play fee for students, officials said they felt more was needed. Superintendent Larry Elliott left two years early, following a mutual agreement with board members that it was in the district’s best interest, officials said.
"I think the board is moving in a new direction, and they are confident that this will allow them to pursue the new vision for the future of the students, staff and taxpayers of the district," said Lance Erlwein, the school district treasurer.
Elliott will help in the transition without extra pay, but the former superintendent will get paid for the next five months, Erlwein said. The board discussed the superintendent role and some principal positions all day in meetings, he said.
"It's hard for us because almost all of our surrounding districts are offering higher administrative salaries,” said Erlwein. “So, that will be a big challenge for us to find the right person when we're so financially constrained."
Officials said they saved more than $145,000 a year from cuts they already made, but it’s not enough to improve the issue. NEWS9’s Briona Arradondo asked if educators will consider combining the superintendent and principal duties, as other area school districts have done.
"Because our district is so big and we have so many buildings, we are not certain that that would be an effective combination. But it will be discussed today," said Erlwein.
Officials said they also have to think about sharing a superintendent with another district. NEWS9 tried to reach Elliott for a comment but did not hear back.