- ODNR under fire after Monroe County well pad incident
- Officials investigate fatal crash
- Monroe County State Route 145 closure
- State officials investigating massive fish kill in Monroe County
- What’s next for Ormet site?
- Ormet workers learn how to receive benefits
- Feds investigating Powhatan theft, woman arrested
- Ormet will lay off remaining 42 workers
- Motorcycle crash sends one to the hospital
- Parents voice concerns about local high school
- With nowhere to house them in Monroe County, 31 arrested on drug charges
- Car goes over hill, driver rescued in Monroe County
- Ribbon cutting held for River Elementary School
- Fitzgerald visits Ormet
- A portion of Ohio 7 in Monroe County to be reduced to one lane
- Latest on ongoing animal neglect case
- Crews on scene of Woodsfield fire
- Chainsaw accident in Monroe County
- Ormet workers picketing at AEP
- Cars vs. cold: Keeping you on the go
- Toy, food drive held for laid-off workers
- Man sentenced to prison for sex crime against teen
- Car strikes Amish buggy in Monroe Co.
- Laid-off Ormet steelworkers target Ohio governor
- 2 arrested in drug raid
- Free-meals-for-all-students program discontinued
- Elem. school principal placed on admin. leave
- Local reaction to Ormet closing
- New pipeline coming to Ohio Valley
- Ormet to close potlines
- Fireball meteor caught on camera
- Ormet's future could be decided Wednesday
- Car crash sends driver to Pittsburgh hospital
- Former postmaster, sex offender faces charges again
- Troopers ready for holiday weekend
- ODNR to hold public meetings to discuss Abandoned Mine Land projects
- DEVELOPING: 3 Missing people found
- DEVELOPING: 3 Missing people found
- DEVELOPING: Missing man is found
- Search on for missing man
- Ormet workers hold rally to save jobs
- Fatal crash after man drives into home
- New steel mill coming to Monroe County
- Man indicted on 46 counts of rape
- Six arrested in child sex investigation
- Monroe County superintendent leaves struggling school district
- 1,000 Ormet jobs at stake due to limited funds for electric bills
- Severe Weather Alert in Effect
- WTOV9.com undergoing redesign
New steel mill coming to Monroe County
Updated: Wednesday, August 7 2013, 08:13 PM EDT
By: Celina Pompeani
MONROE COUNTY, Ohio
The new steel mill coming to Hannibal will be located inside of the building where the Ormet Aluminum Rolling Mill was once located.
Hannibal Real Estate purchased the property back in 2007 and invested 30 million dollars into it. Officials are working to get the railroad line reactivated as well, which will be key for business in the area.
The Hannibal Industrial Park will not only have this new steel plant, but it also has numerous other small companies throughout the site, including State Oil and Ohio Railway, which has led to many jobs throughout the area.
"It's a massive facility, (a) one-and-a-quarter-million square feet, 122-acre site. But having the rail access is very key especially for companies that service shale industry and rely on rail," said Jason Hamman, Monroe County economic development director.
David Reid, the managing director at Hannibal Real Estate says this is a work in progress, but will bring a lot of economic growth to the community.
"We bought the site back in July 2007, and have been building it up ever since then, becoming the energy campus for Monroe County. We are working closely with commissioners on this new development." said Reid.
They have also put the railroad back in service.
The Ohio Rail Development Commission approved a large grant for the railroad construction in July.
"Having the rail line active has been the key that has been able to attract, for businesses in the county, and especially for that facility," said Hamman.