Top Stories

Top Stories

 
text size

Teen's death puts focus on caffeine powder dangers

Updated: Saturday, July 19 2014, 08:02 AM EDT

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The sudden death of a healthy high school senior has focused attention on unregulated caffeine powder.


The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers to avoid the substance, as it collects more information.


A recent autopsy found that 18-year-old Logan Stiner had a lethal amount of caffeine in his system when he died May 27 at his home in LaGrange, Ohio, southwest of Cleveland.


 A coroner said the prom king and wrestler had as much as 23 times the amount of caffeine in his system found in a typical coffee or soda drinker.


Health officials worry about the powder's potential popularity among exercise enthusiasts and young people seeking an energy boost. It's sold as a dietary supplement, not subject to the same federal regulations as certain caffeinated foods.

Teen's death puts focus on caffeine powder dangers


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!